Mango Math Money Matters Kit
- Grades: 3-5
- Recommended Settings: Summer Camps, Classrooms, Resource Rooms, Before & Afterschool Programs
- Standards Alignment: Common Core Math
Cha Ching, money matters and being able to count dollars and cents, calculate amount owed and determine if something is a good bargain are all things third through fifth graders are exposed to in this math kit. Should I Save It, Spend It or Lend It are questions proposed to students in one of our 20 games. The games Living within Your Means and Profit/Loss have students quickly realizing that once in the red, it’s hard to get out. This kit will have students learning real life money experiences as well as solid math skills. Students will learn all about money!
Curriculum or Lesson Topics:
Common Core Standards for Math
- 3.OA.B - Understand properties of multiplication and the relationship between multiplication and division.
- 3.OA.C - Multiply and divide within 100.
- 3.OA.D - Solve problems involving the four operations and identify and explain patterns in arithmetic.
- 3.NBT.A - Use place value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic.
- 3.NF.A - Develop understanding of fractions as numbers.
- 4.OA.A - Use the four operations with whole numbers to solve problems.
- 4.NBT.A - Generalize place value understanding for multi-digit whole numbers.
- 4.NBT.B - Use place value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic.
- 4.NF.C - Understand decimal notation for fractions, and compare decimal fractions.
- 5.NBT.B - Perform operations with multi-digit whole numbers and with decimals to hundredths. 5.NF.A Use equivalent fractions as a strategy to add and subtract fractions.
- 5.NF.B - Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to multiply and divide fractions.
- Investigate money management from a personal financial perceptive.
- Apply critical-thinking skills to analyze financial options based on current and projected economic factors.
- Gain knowledge and skills necessary to establish short-term and long-term financial goals.
- Examine various methods of achieving short-term and long-term financial goals.
Standards for Mathematical Practice
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
- 1 - Plastic carrying basket
- 20 - Lessons in individual plastic folders
- 24 - Dry erase markers in plastic case
- 1 - Curriculum Guide & Assessment Book
- 1 - Calculator
- 4 - Mixed Coin bags
- 100 - Pennies
- 100 - Dimes
- 300 - Two Color Counters
- 2 - Dice: 1s 0-9
- 2 - Dice: 10s 00-90
- 2 - Dice: 100s 000-900 (red)
- 22 - Dice: regular 6-sided
- 2 - Dice: 20-sided
- 8 - Mixed Bill Set
- 100 - Paper Money $1
- 100 - Paper Money $10
- 50 - Paper Money $100
- 24 - Pawns
- 10 - Playing Cards
- 2 - Spinner (transparent)