Lab-Aids:‚ Atomic Structure and Chemical Interactions Kit
Students are introduced to models of atomic structure and use the planetary model to visualize the number of valence electrons. They discover that the row of the Periodic Table (chemical family) in which the element belongs is related to the element's number of outer shell electrons. They also discover that the total number of electrons in the outer shell of chemical compounds is a multiple of eight.
- Elements have characteristic atomic structures which affect their physical and chemical properties.
- Elements are placed in families if they react in similar ways.
- There are more than 115 chemical elements that combine in a multitude of ways to produce compounds with different characteristic properties.
- 1 Teacher's Guide
- 28 Student Worksheet and Guides
- 12 Sets of 12 Atomic Structure Cards
- To complete this kit requires one ~50-minute class periods
- Number of students: 24