Build-a-Boat - 10 Pack
- Grades: 3+
- Number of Students: 10-20 (1-2 per boat)
- Number of Lessons: N/A
- Contact Hours: N/A
- Additional Resources: Go Guide, Propeller Design Lab, Engineering Notebook, STEM Rubric, STEAM Market-It Challenge
Conquer the high seas — or your swimming pool — by crafting your own DIY boat! The TeacherGeek building system does what others don't, allowing kids to easily swap and manipulate parts as they try out their latest and greatest boat design. That means kids are really engineering; trying out ideas, seeing what works and what doesn't, and learning all the while!
*NOTE: You need a Phillips-head Screwdriver for this activity pack. Please see link to our recommended TeacherGeek Screwdrivers below.
- Screwdriver 10 Pack (REQUIRED)*
- Slip Join Pliers - 10 Pack (OPTIONAL)
- Multi-cutter 10 Pack (OPTIONAL)
- Reamer 10 Pack (OPTIONAL)
- Mini Hammer 10 Pack (OPTIONAL)
Propeller Design Lab: Create an experiment to investigate the variables that affect propeller design, then use the results to build a better boat! Ages 8+. More info is available in the Propeller Design Lab document here.
Speedboat Challenge: The fastest boat wins! Race head to head in a regatta or compete for the shortest time.
Delivery Challenge: Carry the package across the finish line in the shortest time to win!
Heavy Load Challenge: Carry the most cargo across the finish line to win!
Target Challenge: The closest boat to the target wins!
Please see page 7 on the Go Guide here for more challenge info.
STEAM Market-It Challenge: Turn your design into a retail product. Create marketing materials to persuade people to buy it. More info is available on the STEAM Market-It Challenge page here.
Next Generation Science Standards:
International Technology & Engineering Educators' Association Standards:
Each Individual kit includes:
- (4) #10 25mm Screws
- (4) #10 Hex Nut
- (1) AA Double Battery Holder w/ Power Switch & Leads
- (1) Chip Board - 22cm x 5 cm (8.5in x 2in)
- (3) Connector Strips
- (1) Dowel - 30cm (12in)
- (2) Dowels - 15cm (6in)
- (3) Dowels - 10cm (4in)
- (2) Dowels - 8cm (3in)
- (1) Mini Hub Assembly (Red)
- (2) Perpendicular Blocks
- (1) Small 1.5-3V Motor
- (1) Small 1.5-3V Motor Mount
- (10) Small Bamboo Project Sticks
- (4) Zip Ties
Additional Information and Resources:
Special Notes and Considerations:
NOTE: This is an educational product and not a toy. Adult supervision is required.
CHOKING HAZARD - Small parts. Not for children under 3 years.