BMX STEAM Program
- Grades: 4-8
- Number of Students: 25
- Number of Lessons: 6
- Curriculum Hours: 40
- Additional Resources: Sample Lesson
Looking for a gold medal STEAM program? USA BMX, the sanctioning body of bicycle motocross (BMX) racing in North America, is offering a first of its kind curriculum combining Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math with a strong physical fitness element and a little bit of fun.
About The BMX STEAM Program:
This project-based program is student-centered, and student-led, where instructors help facilitate the BMX STEAM curriculum. The eight (6) module curriculum is equal parts education and exercise, all centered around a bike. Flexible lesson plans are designed to be used in a variety of settings including school days, after-school, as well as summer camps.
Curriculum or Lesson Topics:
- Lesson 1: Build Your Own Mongoose BMX Race Bike
- Lesson 2: Balanced vs. Unbalanced Forces
- Lesson 3: Energy Transformation
- Lesson 4: Measuring Practice
- Lesson 5: Friction
- Lesson 6: Leverage
The USA BMX Foundation curriculum aligns with state STEAM standards, including NGSS, and incorporates a pre/post testing element that supports outcome-based reporting.
- *Complete curriculum providing six (6) modules, filled with photos, step-by-step walk-throughs and outcomes
- Five (5) Mongoose BMX bikes
- Five (5) BMX safety helmets
- Five (5) Bluetooth wireless cycling computers
- One (1) bike stand for builds, repairs, and modifications
- One (1) complete set of bike tools
- One (1) bike pump with pressure gauge
- Five (5) alternative tread tires (to be used on front tire in module #6)
- Two (2) spare inner tubes
- Each student receives a free One-Day Membership to USA BMX
NOTE: This item has a 2-3 week lead time.
*NOTE: The USA BMX Foundation Curriculum is shipped separately from the BMX bikes and other components. The curriculum will arrive in a separate package via FedEx.