Coding Express by LEGO® Education
- Grades: PreK-K (ages 2-5)
- Number of Students: 6
- Number of Lessons: 8
- Contact Hours: N/A
- Additional Resources: Early Learning Fact Sheet
Note: This item is only available for sale to out-of-school-time programs and at-home learning with a limit of three (3) sets per customer. To inquire about ordering larger quantities of this item, please email email@example.com or call 800-985-7836 to speak to a representative.
Coding Express is a creative, intuitive and versatile solution that introduces preschoolers to early coding concepts that naturally sparks their curiosity, creativity and desire to explore and learn together. Based on the ever popular train theme, the highly versatile LEGO® DUPLO® solution allows children to make connections and intuitively explore early coding concepts, such as sequencing, looping and conditional coding, while developing problem-solving skills, critical thinking, collaboration, and social and emotional skills.
The child-led free optional app provides four areas for preschoolers to explore: Journeys, Characters, Music and Math. The different themed activities change the way the action bricks behave, altering the effect on the train. The activities are open-ended and preschoolers will practice a variety of skills relevant for early childhood development.
- Journeys: destinations, sequencing events and language
- Characters: emotional reactions, action/reaction and social and emotional development
- Music: melodies/instruments, exploring, sequencing and looping sound
- Math: Assigning values for movement, exploring action/re-action
- 234 LEGO® DUPLO® bricks
- Push & Go train with lights and sounds, motor, color sensor that interacts with 5 colored action bricks, and 2 railroad switches
- Easy in-the-box getting started materials include: Getting Started activities, introduction guide, large poster, and 6 building inspiration cards to build 12 unique models
- Teacher Guide includes 8 online lessons: 4 lessons use the physical set and 4 lessons use the digital app
- 8 short online video tutorials
- Free optional app for iOS and Android app included
- App includes 4 themed activities; Journeys, Characters, Music and Math, that allow preschoolers to collaborate and interact with the physical toy train through a digital medium
Curriculum or Lesson Topics:
Key learning objectives to develop early coding and critical 21st century skills include:
- Early coding skills
- Conditional coding
- Language and literacy
- Problem solving
- Express ideas with digital elements
Additional Information and Resources:
- Coding Express Lesson Plans
- LEGO® Education STEAM at Home Resources
- Download the Coding Express App and System Requirements
- Additional Coding Express Resources
LEGO, the LEGO logo, the Minifigure, and DUPLO are trademarks and/or copyrights of the LEGO Group. Used with permission. ©2020 The LEGO Group. All rights reserved.