cyber:bot Robot Kit (with micro:bit)
- Grades: 9+ (Intermediate to advanced level programming)
- Number of Students: 1-2 per robot
- Hours of Content: 50-100+
- Tutorials & Lesson Plans: cyber:Bot tutorial series
- Additional Documents: Scope & Sequence, Standards Matrix, YouTube Channel Distance Learning Playlist
The cyber:bot robot adds a tangible hardware dimension to Python-focused computer science, CTE and cybersecurity programs. The cyber:bot robot puts the BBC micro:bit module on the Parallax small robot form factor that's a proven STEM success in classrooms from middle school into college, leveraging the add-ons available for this chassis. A user-transparent onboard Propeller Multicore Microcontroller assists the micro:bit, handling the real-time servo motor control and sensors built on the breadboard. This enables more robust robotic applications that go beyond what the micro:bit can do on its own.
The cyber:bot robot is a joint project of Parallax Inc. and NICERC, the National Integrated Cyber Education Research Center.
- Python-programmable with Mu software or online MicroPython editor
- cyber:bot board neatly connects the micro:bit to the Propeller Multicore Microcontroller and robot hardware
- Propeller multicore microcontroller pre-programmed with cyber:bot firmware manages sensors and servo motor control
- Build DIY sensor circuits on the breadboard that use touch, visible light, and infrared light
- Compatible with Parallax small robot add-ons including the Ping))) Ultrasonic Sensor, Ping))) Laser Sensor, QTI Line Follower Kit, and Crawler Kit
- Free online tutorials and educator resources - see the cyber:bot Tutorial Series
Note: The initial Spring launch of cyber:bot includes software setup, micro:bit programming, assembly instructions, and basic navigation. Additional tutorials with circuit-building for all of the kit sensors will be published periodically, with a full 40-hour set of classroom tutorials available for the Fall 2019 semester.
Requires 5 AA 1.5 V alkaline batteries or 5 1.2 V nickel-metal hydride rechargeable batteries, not included.‚ Assembly required, no soldering necessary.
- (1) micro:bit module (#32703)
- (1) cyber:bot board (#32702)
- (2) Parallax Continuous Rotation Servos (#900-00008)
- (1) Small Robot Chassis (#700-00002)
- (2) Small Robot Wheel and Tire (#28114)
- (1) Small Robot Electronics Pack (#572-28132)
- (1) Small Robot Hardware Pack (#570-35000)
- (1) 5AA Battery Holder, Barrel Jack (#753-00007)
- (1) USB A to Micro B Cable (#805-00016)
- Nuts and screws set to hold boards together
- Parallax Pocket Screwdriver (#700-00064)