Mango Math Sports & Math Kit
- Grades: 6-8
- Recommended Settings: Summer Camps, Classrooms, Resource Rooms, Before & Afterschool Programs
- Standards Alignment: Common Core Math
On your mark, get set, GO! Math is all around us, especially in sports. Keeping score, tracking time, determining an average, guessing the angle of a hockey puck, all take math. Within the 20 lessons, middle school students will play mock games that will help in adding and subtracting integers, applying Pythagorean Theorem, or calculating time over consecutive days. Leave no regrets on the field, get in there and play with math.
- Marching Band
- Iditarod Race
- Car Racing
Curriculum or Lesson Topics:
Common Core Standards for Math
- 6.NS.A - Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to divide fractions by fractions.
- 6.NS.B - Compute fluently with multi-digit numbers and find common factors and multiples.
- 6.NS.C - Apply and extend previous understandings of numbers to the system of rational numbers
- 6.EE.B - Reason about and solve one-variable equations and inequalities.
- 6.G.A - Represent and analyze quantitative relationships between dependent and independent variables.
- 6.SP.A - Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving area, surface area, and volume.
- 7.RP.A - Analyze proportional relationships and use them to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
- 7.EE.B - Solve real-life and mathematical problems using numerical and algebraic expressions and equations.
- 8.EE.C - Analyze and solve linear equations and pairs of simultaneous linear equations
- 8.G.B - Understand and apply the Pythagorean Theorem
Standards for Mathematical Practice
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
- 1 - Plastic carrying basket
- 20 - Lessons in individual plastic folders
- 24 - Dry erase markers in plastic case
- 1 - Curriculum Guide & Assessment Book
- 3 - Calculators
- 8 - Transparent counters
- 4 - Dice: 1, 2, 3
- 6 - Dice: 1s 0-9
- 4 - Dice: 10s 00-90
- 8 - Dice: 12-sided
- 2 - Dice: 12-sided double dice
- 20 - Dice: regular 6-sided dice
- 2 - Dice: 30-sided
- 2 - Dice: 100s 000-900
- 8 - Dice: + -
- 48 - Pawns
- 2 - Protractor 6"
- 4 - Pullback Cars (friction cars)
- 3 - Sand timer 3-minutes
- 8 - Spinners (transparent)
- 1 - Student Clocks
- 2 - Student timer
- 2 - Tape Measure (English / Metric)