Hummingbird Classroom Flock (with micro:bits)
Inspire deep and joyful learning with the micro:bit-powered Hummingbird Bit Robotics Kit! The Hummingbird Robotics Kit is comprised of lights, sensors, and motors which allow students to build a robot out of any materials. The power of Hummingbird is in its flexibility - the same reusable kit can animate a poem, model the human arm, build an autonomous rover, or create a pinball machine.
Hummingbird epitomizes a low-floor, high-ceiling approach: absolute beginners can build & program a robot in minutes, but continue learning advanced engineering & programming for years.
All Hummingbird Bit Robotics Kits include:
- Free classroom-tested and standards-aligned learning materials, such as programming tutorials, lesson plans, and printable student activities.
- Out-of-the-box compatibility with computers, Chromebooks, and tablets.
- Free software that is tested to work with school IT environments.
- Support for block-based and text-based programming environments, including MakeCode, Python, and Java.
- Electrically protected connectors that allow students to easily add multiple motors, sensors, and LEDs without risk of harm due to incorrect connections.
- Free online professional development, including classroom curriculum integration planning.
- Classroom-ready packaging, including sturdy cases, sorting compartments, and stackable containers.
- Products that have been created and validated by National Science Foundation-funded research at Carnegie Mellon University and tested in classrooms with teachers and students.
Each Flock includes:
All Hummingbird Bit Robotics Kits work with the following programming languages:
- BirdBlox (block-based - available on iOS, Android, Fire OS)
- MakeCode (block-based - available on Chromebooks, Mac, Windows, Linux)
- Snap! (block-based - available on Chromebooks, Mac, Windows)
- Python (text-based - available on Chromebooks, Mac, Windows)
- Java (text-based - available on Mac, Windows)
- Swift (text-based iOS app builder - available on Mac)
- Kotlin (text-based Android app builder - available on Mac, Windows)