Mango Math K-2 Problem Solving Kit
- Grades: K-2
- Recommended Settings: Summer Camps, Classrooms, Resource Rooms, Before & Afterschool Programs
- Standards Alignment: Common Core Math
Math? No, Problem! Learn to Crack the Code, Round Up numbers, and find Hidden Objects. Students will have lots of fun as they learn eight ways to solve math problems. They can guess and check, draw a picture, create a list, work backwards, act it out, use logic and look for patterns. They will also be communicating and collaborating with their friends and classmates. Solving a problem has never been easier when you have good games, good friends, and a good place to play.
Curriculum or Lesson Topics:
Common Core Standards for Math
- K.CC.C - Compare numbers.
- K.OA.A - Understand addition as putting together and adding to, and understand subtraction as taking apart and taking from.
- 1.OA.A - Represent and solve problems involving addition and subtraction.
- 1.OA.B - Understand and apply properties of operations and the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- 1.OA.D - Work with addition and subtraction equations.
- 1.NBT.A - Extending the counting sequence.
- 1.NBT.B - Understand place value.
- 1.NBT.C - Use place value understanding and properties of operations to add and subtract.
- 2.NBT.A - Understand place value.
- 2.NBT.B - Use place value understanding and properties of operations to add and subtract.
- 2.OA.B - Add and subtract within 20.
Problem Solving Strategies
- Draw a Picture
- Guess and Check
- Work Backwards
- Act it Out
- Create a Table
- Make a List
- Look for Patterns
- Use Logic and Reasoning
Standards for Mathematical Practice
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
- 1 - Plastic carrying basket
- 20 - Lessons in individual plastic folders
- 24 - Dry erase markers in plastic case
- 1 - Curriculum Guide & Assessment Book
- 10 - Clothespins
- 100 - Coins
- 2 - Dice: 100s 000-900
- 4 - Dice: 10s 00-90
- 2 - Dice: 1s 0-9
- 2 - Dice: 30-sided
- 2 - Dice: + -
- 2 - Dice: numbers
- 4 - Pattern Blocks
- 8 - Pawns
- 6 - MANGO Math Playing Cards
- 200 - Snap Blocks
- 300 - Two Color Counters