Andy: The Code & Play Robot
- Grades: PreK+
- Number of Students: 1 student per robot recommended
- Number of Experiments: 33
- Additional Resources: Andy Manual, More Game Ideas
Learn basic programming skills while having fun with Andy, The Code & Play Robot.
Andy is ready to program and play with right out of the box — you just need three AA batteries. You program the robot by pressing big, intuitive buttons on the top of its head — no app or tablet required! You can control Andy’s movements directly by pressing the arrow keys, or press the Go button to enter a sequence of up to 30 movements. Andy lights up and has two movement modes, meaning it can travel different distances depending on which mode it is in. Andy can even play music and dance!
Once you understand how Andy moves, you can play a game with the nine included robot cards. Can you guide Andy to find its 27 friends? To find each friend, you will have to program Andy’s path. Once you find a friend, check it off on the back of the manual. In the manual, you can also learn about different types of real-world robots and their functions. Then, access the two bonus games on the Thames & Kosmos website, which you can print at home. In these, Andy can find animal pals or gather food ingredients for a recipe. You can also create an obstacle course in your room, then program Andy to navigate the course. The possibilities are endless!
- Learn basic coding skills — no app or tablet required.
- Program up to 30 actions directly on your Andy robot.
- No assembly required
- Andy lights up, dances, and plays music.
- Play a fun, educational game to help find Andy’s friends.
- Learn about real-world robots in the manual.
- Develop skills in basic programming, spatial reasoning, and logical thinking.
- 3-5-ETS1-1 Engineering Design
- 3-5-ETS1-2 Engineering Design
- 3-5-ETS1-3 Engineering Design
- 4-PS3-3 Energy
- 4-LS1-2 From Molecules to Organisms: Structures and Processes
WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD — Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.