The Science of Superpowers Camp
- Grades: 1-3
- Number of Students: 30
- Contact Hours: 12
- Lesson Plan Sample PDF
Many of the world most famous superheroes modeled their identities after creatures with unique abilities by using engineering and design techniques. Students will be given an opportunity to dissect these skill-sets and uncover the science behind such super skills. With 12 hands-on lessons, biology, engineering, and technology concepts are discussed through the lens of comic book heroes!
Not only does this camp explore the science aspect of superpowers, but dives into what makes a true hero in the community. Who in your local community is a hero and what do they give back to the community like a superhero does? Sometimes heroes are as close as the room next door. Through collaboration and a community awareness students identify these real-life role models!
The Science of Superpowers Camp includes all of the curriculum and materials needed for summer camps, after-school environments, and classroom enrichment time.
- Curriculum for 12 activities. Each activity can accommodate a 1 hour segment, or can be adjusted for different time blocks.
- Materials for documenting, recording, and reflecting
- Creative supplies for creating models
- Informational posters on some of the inspirational animals behind superpowers
- Superhero masks to help students channel their own inner-hero
- Instructor guide
- Camp background information
- Collaboration and discussion tips
- Activity and assessment materials
- Ingredients for a Hero
- Spinning Webs and Spider-Man
- Look Who's Coming for Dinner
- Bats like Batman
- Where's My Dinner?
- Talons, Wings, and Beaks - Oh My!
- On the Wings of Raptors
- Iron Man - Technological Engineer
- Power Up!
- Tapping into Captain America
- Zero to Hero
- Let the Games Begin!
Each Activity Guide Includes:
Opening & Closing Discussion Topics
Step-By-Step Activity Instructions
Topic Background & Vocabulary
|Sterilite tub (10 gal)‚||1|
|#2 pencils (12 pack)||3|
|Plastic beak mask
|Plastic bottles (64 oz)||3|
|Colored pencils (12 pack)||15|
|Paper cups (8 oz)||32|
|Dry erase markers||231|
|Dry erase peel and stick sheets (17"x24")||1|
|Dry erase pockets||31|
|Large plastic ears||2|
|Yellow cleaning gloves (pair)||1|
|White glue (4 oz)||15|
|Single hole punch||1|
|Colored string (450 ft)||1|
|Painter's tape (60 yards)‚||1|
|Expanding plastic file folders||2|
|Science of Superpowers Instructor's Guide
|Full set of student handouts||224|
Note: Due to production time, this item typically ships 2-3 weeks after receipt of the order.
Use collapsible tabs for more detailed information that will help customers make a purchasing decision.
Ex: Shipping and return policies, size guides, and other common questions.