Finch Robot 2.0 (with micro:bit)
- Grades: K-12+
- Number of Students: 1-2 per robot
- Number of Activities: 65
- Additional Resources: Getting Started, Activities, Free Teacher PD Courses, Example Student Tutorial
The Finch is a programmable robot that brings computer science to life by providing students from kindergarten to college a hands-on representation of their code.
Please note that the Finch uses micro:bit as its processor; you must have one in order to operate the robot. Every Finch includes a micro:bit and a micro USB Cable for charging and downloading to a micro:bit.
Coding from Kindergarten to College
A robot designed to grow with students. From icon- and block-based coding to advanced text-based programming, the Finch is a tool for elementary school, AP computer science, and every class in between. This low floor, high ceiling tool includes materials designed for teachers who are new to coding so they can meet the needs of students at all experience levels.
Designed Specifically for Classrooms
The Finch is a thoughtfully designed, powerful teaching tool. Teach confidently with 7+ hours of battery life, impressive durability, and innovative add-ons like a pen mount and plastic brick adapter. Worry less, charge less often, and let that creativity shine.
Backed by Research
The original Finch Robot began being tested in classrooms in 2008. Designed with 10 years of teacher feedback, the new Finch 2.0 is a trusted teaching tool with the evidence to back it up. Check out our Research Page to see published articles.
The Finch Robot 2.0 includes the following features:
- Bluetooth wireless connection
- Integrated and rechargeable battery (lasts 7+ hours)
- Centrally positioned marker holder for drawing
- 5 tri-color LEDs
- Multi-tonal buzzer
- Wheel encoders for precise and accurate movement
- 2 light sensors
- 1 distance / obstacle / ultrasonic sensor
- 2 infrared line tracking sensors
- Compatible with plastic bricks for adding accessories & building fun
- Marks on wheels for counting revolutions
- Surface can be written on with whiteboard markers
- micro:bit features: accelerometer, radio, compass, buttons
- RoHS compliant
The Finch Robot 2.0 works with the following programming languages:
- FinchBlox (icon-based for pre-readers - available on iOS, Android, Fire OS)
- BirdBlox (block-based - available on iOS, Android, Fire OS)
- MakeCode (block-based - available on Chromebooks, Mac, Windows, Linux)
- Snap! (block-based - available on Chromebooks, Mac, Windows)
- Python (text-based - available on Chromebooks, Mac, Windows)
- Java (text-based - available on Mac, Windows)
- Swift (text-based iOS app builder - available on Mac)
- Kotlin (text-based Android app builder - available on Mac, Windows)
- Fire OS
*All Finch Robots purchased from STEMfinity come with a micro:bit
You may also like