Wearable Circuits - Standard Kit
- Grades: 4+
- Number of Students: 1-5
- Number of Lessons: 19
- Contact Hours: 5-11+
- Additional Resources: Lessons
Why mess with thread and sewing when you can just use conductive tape. Choose from Brown Dog Gadget's personal sized Standard Kit or their giant Classroom Set to create all kinds of simple wearable projects in minutes!
Adding circuity to wearable items is a fun and engaging way to introduce core science and engineering concepts within an arts context. The new Wearable Circuits kits make this idea approachable for all learners regardless of dexterity issues, classroom time constraints and existing sewing skills. Use the conductive Maker Tape and raw circuit components to add a variety of LED accents to virtually any wearable item that you can stick a piece of tape to!
For extra fun BDG has also included their special conductive hook and loop fasteners! These are a great way to create switches in wearable project or connect two pieces of fabric together.
Unlike other conductive tape options Maker Tape is specially designed to be Z Axis Conductive for much easier project creation. Just overlap two pieces of Maker Tape to create a solid electrical connection. Just tape down the component for a simple connection. No mess, hassle, or special tools needed.
Standard Kit vs Classroom Set
The Standard Kit is intended as an individual or small group activity kit, with enough parts for at least 5 projects. The Classroom Set is intended for large groups and includes enough parts for at least 25 projects. The kits include the same variety of components, with the Classroom Set containing four times as many components.
Please see the Classroom Set here.
Curriculum or Lesson Topics:
Brown Dog Gadget Project Database
The BDG Project Database includes guides and project tutorials for all BDG products. The Wearable Circuits kit currently has the following lessons and projects available:
- Attaching Conductive Kook & Loop
- DIY Light-Up Shoes
- Easy Light-Up Christmas Sweaters with Maker Tape
- Felt Christmas Tree
- Felt Ornament
- Felt Red Nosed Reindeer
- Felt Snowman
- Getting Started with Wearables eBook
- Light-p Halloween Bracelets
- Molded LED Halloween Bucket Hats
- Molded LED Two Heart Bracelet with Conductive Hook & Loop Switch Closure
- Molded LED Valentine Bag with Conductive Hook & Loop Closure
- No-Sew Christmas Tree Bracelet
- No-Sew Conductive Bracelets
- No-Sew Hot Glue Jewel Bracelet
- No-Sew Light-Up Holiday Stockings
- Simple Light-Up Ugly Christmas Sweater
- Super Simple Light-Up Christmas Sweaters
- Winter Wearable Circuits eBook
Please see all Wearable Circuits projects and lessons here.
Each Standard Wearable Circuits Kit Includes the Following:
- Maker Tape 1/4th Inch Conductive Tape Roll 5M (16 Feet)
- CR2032 Batteries (x5)
- Jumbo LEDs (x15) - Five Colors including Color Changing
- Conductive Hook and Loop (2" strip)
- Standard Self Adhesive Hook and Loop Dots (x5)
Additional Information and Resources:
Special Notes and Considerations:
CHOKING HAZARD - Small parts. Not for children under 3 years.