School Beats STEAM, Grades K-2
School Beats STEAM K-2nd is a 4 unit, 20 lesson plan project-based curriculum. The purpose of the School Beats curriculum is to use a student run record label to engage as well as educate in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math. Students will learn the dynamics of each role the staff at an entertainment company occupy ranging from the CEO to the Artistic Director.
- Instructor guide (Contact Us for a Curriculum Sample)
- 13 Story posters
- 27 WordPlay Cards
- 11 Original songs
- 20 Activities
- Much more...
Pop culture is a major source of influence for most Americans between the ages of 13-19 years old. Most of our youth are first introduced to pop culture between 3-9 years of age, which per Neilson ratings is the 2nd largest age group in this country. The primary source of exposure to pop culture is through music. According to the Stanford University Department of Anthropology, on average, American youth listen to music and watch music videos four to five hours a day. This is more time than they spend with their friends outside of school or watching television shows. Music matters to adolescents, and they cannot be understood without a serious consideration of how it affects their lives. The scholastic community must rise to the occasion and bridge the gap between pop culture and education. School Beats S.T.E.A.M is an innovative program that does just that through the use of disguised learning. The purpose of this curriculum is to use a student run record label to successfully educate students in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math in an affordable, exciting, and applicable way.
School Beat: Students Run Record/ Entertainment Company
School Beat is a creative engaging approach for students to gain hands on experience in running a record/entertainment company to expand their knowledge of the recording industry by signing, recording and marketing student artist through their own entertainment company. Students work in teams related to advertising, recording, production, publishing, artist and repertoire, legal, marketing, touring, sales, web development and finance. Students will be exposed to the different career opportunities available within the entertainment industry. In addition students will learn about performance rights, music distribution, unions, guilds, entertainment agencies, live performances venues, concessions, recording studios, manufacturing, production, wholesale and retail merchandising.
- Subject Areas: English, Social Studies, Computer Science, Research Methods, Mathematics, Strategies, Communication, & Evaluation Strategies
- Skills: Creative thinking, Decision making, Drawing, Following directions, Illustration, Imaginative discussion, Interpreting information, Listening responsively, Responsibility, Sequencing, Teamwork, Applying information, Brainstorming, Conducting research, Decision making, News writing, Role-playing,‚
Production & Music
Through a structured step by step curriculum students will learn DJing, music theory, engineering, studio management, and music production. Participants create and produce their own studio quality music tracks and record an instrumental compilation CD.
- Subject Area: Production, Perspective, Science Theory,‚ Evaluation Strategies, Mathematics, Communication Strategies, & Developing Research Skills
- Skills: Comparing, Critical thinking, Decision making, Differentiating, Identifying choices, Interpreting data, Listening responsively, Math computations, Making observations, Matching, Problem solving, Role-playing, Teamwork,‚ Brainstorming, Comparing, Compiling data, Conducting research, Decision making, Differentiating, Identifying choices, Listening responsively, Making observations, Problem solving, Reading
Urban Visual Art
Students will explore and discuss the many areas of visual arts to include photography, drawing, painting, digital imaging as well as some alternative processes. Visual and hands on stimulation will be provided through engaging interactive activities. In addition the program gives students who are more visually stimulated the advantage of learning through alternative methods.
- Subject Area: Artistic Perception, Creative Expression, Historian, & Cultural Content
- Skills: Conceptualizing and designing advertisements, Creative thinking, Critical thinking, Decision making, Drawing conclusions, Reading and writing, Reasoning, Role-playing, Teamwork, Verbal communication, Working in groups.
Get your Paper Right
This Hip Hop financial literacy empowerment workshop will provide valuable information on budgeting, saving and building wealth. During this workshop we will provide youth important financial related information and opportunities for economic advancement and empowerment. Topics will include: Building Credit, Basics of Banking, Wealth Building, Asset Management, Home Ownership, Auto Financing and Entrepreneurship.
- Subject Area: Strategies, Problem Solving, Concepts of Probability, Human Experience, Evaluating Data, Mathematics, & Applying Knowledge
- Skills: Comparing, Compiling data, Conducting research, Decision making, Differentiating, Giving reports, Interpreting data, Math computations, Problem solving, Reading, Teamwork, Understanding symbols
The STEAM Tour is a nationwide tour that gathers the young, hip, influential, and powerful entrepreneurial trendsetters of today who careers encompass the core components of Science Technology Engineering Arts & Mathematics (STEAM). The tour brings a day of seminars, workshops, and forums that points the youth in the direction of success. Students are introduced to the fundamentals behind creating/design high fashion sneakers, the technological know-how to develop high quality headphones (Beats by Dr. Dre), and the chemical combinations/formulas for energy drinks (Gatorade) & developing beauty products (Carroll's Daughter).
Education Through Entertainment & Arts Partnership (EEAP) is culturally-relevant educational lifestyle company which strives to assist students by offering a fundamentally different approach to education that is designed to address the needs of 21st century learners through project-based learning. Our mission is to prepare and inspire students with an enjoyable learning experience. This is accomplished by personalizing their education curriculum, engaging the student using disguised/non-traditional learning methods, and making it applicable to the real world outside the classroom. We provide student-centered arts instruction in filmmaking, recording arts music production, photography, visual arts, theatre, design, dance, and language arts. These programs are designed to continually capture student's imaginations and turn their academics into relevant experiences and skills which can be used throughout their lives. EEAP provides positive mentoring for our students, a hands-on approach, and a student-centered academic component that is aligned to Common Core Standards. While we work primarily with students in grades K-12 who are enrolled in Title 1 schools, we also work with nonprofit organizations, school districts, charter schools, and community-based organizations. We serve these students through after school programs, in-school integration, summer programs, outreach programs and art-based programs.
- Create an individualized student learning plan based on weaknesses identified in assessments and include academic, community and family components to help the student make gains in those areas
- Improve standardized test scores and/or academic subject area achievement by providing interactive curriculum and small group tutoring sessions
- Increase student dedication to school and motivation to remain active in school
- Improve academic achievement core areas
- Promote positive correlations in youth between popular culture and traditional learning to enhance motivation and dedication toward academic performance
- Incorporate Hip Hop based education in traditional learning environments as a valuable teaching tool
Case Study Statistics
In 2011, EEAP worked with a non-profit organization and had 488 students participate in our STEAM program. Results for this one program are as follows:
- 80+% Showed gains in academics, student attendance, student participation in class work, student moral, and vigor towards learning
- 87% Increase in academic improvement in certain classes, mostly language arts and reading from actively participating students
- 85% Decrease in absenteeism
- 85% Decrease in disciplinary problems in actively participating students (Students enjoy the program so much, they are not willing to risk losing the privilege to attend)
The mission of Education Through Entertainment & Arts Partnership is to prepare students for careers, college and global citizenship by offering a fundamentally different approach to education that is designed to address the needs of the 21st century learners. We are driven by the belief that students will excel when provided with a space that inspires an enjoyable learning experience through personalized educational curriculum that is applicable to the real world.
- Improve academic literacy
- Promote S.T.E.A.M. (Science Technology Engineering Arts & Mathematics)
- Promote positive youth development
- Promote personal growth that helps to enhance motivation, dedication and academic performance
- Provide entrepreneurial education to address high unemployment rates and poverty
- Software Type:Music Production
- Platform:Mac, PC
- Bit Depth:64-bit
- Format:VST2, VST3, AU, Standalone
- Hardware Requirements - Mac:Intel Core Duo or higher, 4GB RAM or more recommended
- Hardware Requirements - PC:Intel Core Duo / AMD Athlon 64 or higher, 4GB RAM or more recommended
- OS Requirements - Mac:macOS 10.13.6 or later
- OS Requirements - PC:Windows 8.1 or later
- Manufacturer Part Number:10-15243
You may also like