An excellent activity for middle school through college, this kit focuses on the structure of dicot and monocot seeds. Students first examine and dissect two representative types of seeds - dicotyledons and monocotyledons. After diagramming and labeling seed structures, they study the action of enzymes in the germination process and the fate of each part of the germinating seed. Finally, students draw conclusions about the enzymatic process.
- Examine and dissect dicot and monocot seeds
- Diagram and label seed structure
- Study the action of enzymes in the germination process
- Study the fate of each part of the germinating seed
- Understand the enzymatic process in germination
- 1 Teacher's Guide with MSDS
- 30 Student Worksheets and Guides
- 30 Microscope slides
- 30 Cover slips
- 30 Razor blades, single-edged
- 30 Treating dishes, plastic
- 30 Plastic pics, package
- 3 Drop controlled bottles of Toluidine blue stain
- To complete this kit requires one ~50-minute class period.
- Number of students: 30