Lab-Aids: Food Analysis Kit
Using simple and safe chemical tests, students can very quickly and easily identify the major nutrients in common foods. Students use step-by-step instructions to test common foods for the presence of carbohydrates, proteins, lipids. They also perform qualitative (detect a presence) and quantitative (how much) tests of Vitamin C by using a very simple drop-by-drop titration process. Over 100 tests for unknowns can be performed on each food group. This kit does not use corrosive agents or toxic substances.
NOTE: Because of limited shelf-life of certain components, the Food Analysis Kit should be used within three weeks of receipt.
- Identify major nutrients in common foods
- Test common foods for presence of nutrients
- Quantitatively determine Vitamin C in foods
- 1 Teacher's Guide with MSDS
- 10 Student Worksheets and Guides
- 2 Plastic droppers
- 20 Slides
- 10 Test tubes
- 1 Drop control bottle of Fat Testing solution
- 1 Drop control bottle of Protein Testing solution Type A
- 1 Drop control bottle of Protein testing solution Type B
- 1 Drop control bottle of Starch Testing solution
- 1 Drop control bottle of Sugar Testing solution
- 1 Drop control bottle of Vitamin C Standardizing solution
- 1 Drop control bottle of Vitamin C Testing solution
- To complete this kit requires approximately one 50-minute class period.
- Number of students: 10-40