Lab-Aids: First Introduction to Molecular Models Kit
Understanding molecular model made easy with this specially designed two-part kit. Students first study electron characteristics using the Bohr model for electron structure of the atom. They progress to a study of atoms gaining, losing, or sharing electrons in order to form molecules of a substance.
Four-page student worksheets introduce students to molecular models by first using 2-dimensional color-coded atoms. Lewis diagramming can be taught with these models (directions included in instruction Manual).
The next activity deals with the 3-dimensional structure of the atom. Similarities in molecules are readily observed as students connect atoms to similar atoms, such as forming hydrocarbons. Bonding is illustrated in constructing molecules with different atoms. Understanding the differences in empirical and structural formulas is emphasized. Students then progress to 3-dimensional, color-coded plastic atoms, building more realistic molecular models. The 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional atoms are colorful, easy-to-assemble and help students visualize the structure of the molecular formula that it represents.
An excellent activity for all grade levels, it can be used for review as well as an introduction to atom-molecule concepts. 12 complete sets of molecular model components are provided.
- Understand electron characteristics and then atoms
- Introduction to 2 and 3 dimensional molecular models
- Understand Lewis diagramming
- Construct molecular structures
- Write empirical and structural formula
- 1 Teacher's Guide
- 36 Student Worksheets and Guides, Parts I and II
- 1 Detailed instructions with full background information
- 12 3-dimensional plastic atoms, color-coded
- 12 2-dimensional atoms, die-cut, color-coded
- 20 Covalent plastic bonds
- 4 Carbon tetrahedral centers (black)
- 1 Nitrogen tetrahedral center (red)
- 1 Chlorine single electron atom (green)
- 1 Fluorine single electron atom (pale green)
- 1 Oxygen double electron bond (blue)
- 18 Hydrogen single electron atoms (white)
- 1 Aluminum atom (pink)
- 2 Carbon atoms (black)
- 4 Chlorine atoms (green)
- 1 Fluorine atom (pale green)
- 8 Hydrogen atoms (white)
- 1 Nitrogen atom (red)
- 1 Oxygen atom (blue)
- 1 Sodium atom (grey)
- 1 Sulfur atom (yellow)
- To complete this kit requires two ~50-minute class periods
- Number of students: 36