This lab activity provides a controlled environment for exploring a rather complex concept: the classification of things different and similar at the same time. Students learn that 20 different objects can be assigned to different groups based on color, shape, size, type of edge, structure and number of sides. With these materials, they are able to grasp the general concept of characteristics and order. Students can comprehend the importance of these characteristics in the identification process. Students label traits, define objects by their traits, determine grouping characteristics and relate this knowledge directly to animal and plant taxonomy and classification. The experience gained from this Lab-Aid clarifies for your students the idea of order among the many types of plants, animals and minerals, which helps to identify or classify them for reference. It also illustrates the importance of accurate observations and descriptions. Materials in this kit are reusable.
- Discover that characteristics can be used to define objects
- Learn that there are various kinds and types of characteristics
- Recognize organisms or minerals by their traits
- Develop the idea of order among plants, animals and minerals
- Illustrate the importance of accurate observations and descriptions
- 1 Teacher's Guide
- 30 Student Worksheets and Guides
- 15 Blue figures, numbered, sets of 10
- 15 Red figures, numbered, sets of 10
- To complete this kit requires one ~50-minute class period.
- Number of students: 24