eceSTEM Shaping the Earth Kit
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org regarding delivery time.‚
Recommended Grades: 2-4
Number of Students: 24 working in six groups of four
Hours of Lessons/Activities: 10+
Students will investigate forces that cause the earth surface to change. They will design a simulated rain event. Students will also show how different soils react to rain events, build and design dikes to control erosion and make a structure that can withstand a simulated earthquake.
Major Concepts & Big Ideas:
- What conditions are necessary for rain to occur? How does rain shape Earth's surface through weathering and erosion?
- What soils are best for absorbing water and reducing erosion on Earth's surface?
- What happens to water as it flows down a river or stream? How does flowing water help change Earth's surface?
- Design and build an area that helps control erosion due to rain.
- How can we control erosion in our local environment?
- Food Storage Container - Pack of 3 (2)‚ ‚ ‚
- Plastic Wrap (1)
- Rubber Bands - Pack of 12 (1)‚ ‚
- Ice Pack - Reusable (6)
- Leak Proof Tray for Garden Starter Pots (6)‚ ‚ ‚
- Graduated Cylinder (6)
- Plastic Cup - Pack of 16 (1)
- Wood Block (36)
- Sisal Trees - Pack of 6 (4)
- Craft Sticks - Pack of 100 (2)
- Snap Cubes‚® - Set of 500 (1)
- Plastic Bag w/Zipper - Pack of 12 (2)
- Drinking Straw - Pack of 180 (2)‚ ‚
- Potting Mix - Moisture Control (2)
- Soil - Clay (1)
- Sand (1)
- Aquarium Gravel (1)
- Pebble Stones (2)‚ ‚ ‚
- Plastic Storage Container (1)
- eceSTEM Leader's Expedition Guide - Shaping the Earth (1)