Lab-Aids: Plant Cell Study Kit
This simple, step-by-step lab activity provides a sense of realism and participation that commercially prepared slides or illustrations can't possibly duplicate. Students prepare slides using the pre-cut monocot and dicot plant cross sections and macerated stem tissue. After staining and mounting the samples, students then view their slides through a microscope (not provided).
Clearly diagrammed cell guides and individualized student worksheets are provided to help the students through this fascinating activity. In addition to observing and studying stem cells, students develop an understanding of the art of slide preparation, a skill necessary in future life science and biology classes. There is enough slide preparation material for 30 students in this kit. MICROSCOPES ARE NEEDED.
- Preparation of slide material with staining and mounting
- Develop microscope techniques
- Utilize diagrams and dichotomous keys for identification
- Observe stem cell types in monocot and dicot stems
- 1 Teachers Guide with MSDS
- 30 Student Worksheet and Guides
- 90 Microscope slides
- 90 Cover slips
- 30 Tissue transfer brushes
- 1 Drop controlled bottle of Glycerine
- 4 Drop controlled bottles of Differential Stain
- 1 Vial of Dicot Cross-sections
- 1 Vial of Macerated Stem Tissues
- 1 Vial of Monocot Cross-sections
- To complete this kit requires one ~50-minute class period.
- Number of students: 30