BMX STEAM Program
- Grades: 3-9
- Number of Students: 30+
- Number of Lessons: 8
- Contact Hours: N/A
Looking for a gold medal STEM program? USA BMX, the sanctioning body of bicycle motocross (BMX) racing in North America, is offering a first of its kind curriculum combining Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math with a strong physical fitness element and a little bit of fun.
About The BMX STEM Program:
This project-based program is student-centered, and student-led, where instructors help facilitate the BMX STEM curriculum. The eight (8) module curriculum is equal parts education and exercise, all centered around a bike. Flexible lesson plans are designed to be used in a variety of settings including school days, after-school, as well as summer camps.
Curriculum or Lesson Topics:
- Lesson 1: Build Your Own Mongoose BMX Race Bike
- Lesson 2: Balanced vs. Unbalanced Forces
- Lesson 3: Energy Transformation
- Lesson 4: Measuring Practice
- Lesson 5: Friction
- Lesson 6: Leverage
The USA BMX Foundation curriculum aligns with state STEM standards, including NGSS, and incorporates a pre/post testing element that supports outcome-based reporting.
- Complete curriculum providing eight (8) modules, filled with photos, step-by-step walk-throughs and outcomes
- Five (5) Mongoose BMX bikes
- Five (5) BMX safety helmets
- Five (5) Bluetooth wireless cycling computers
- One (1) bike stand for builds, repairs, and modifications
- One (1) complete set of bike tools
- One (1) bike pump with pressure gauge
- Five (5) alternative tread tires (to be used on front tire in module #6)
- Two (2) spare inner tubes
- Each student receives a free One-Day Membership to USA BMX
NOTE: This item has a 2-3 week lead time.