Lab-Aids:‚ Blood Smear Kit
This three-step experiment provides students with a clear understanding of lab techniques and an opportunity for self discovery. Students draw samples of their own blood with individualized sterile lancets and prepare smears by applying Wright's stain. Using a microscope, they examine the smears to identify different cell types (erythrocytes, polymorphonuclears, eosinophiles, basophiles, lymphocytes and platelets). This experiment can be safely conducted in a single class period. MICROSCOPES ARE NEEDED.
- Observe and identify different cell types in student„¢s own blood
- Prepare smear and apply Wright's stain
- Develop microscope skills
- 1 Teacher's Guide with MSDS
- 4 Wright's stain, drop controlled bottle
- 50 Alcohol pads, pre-saturated
- 50 Lancets, sterile, disposable
- To complete this kit requires approximately one 50-minute class period.
- Number of Students: 50