Lab-Aids: Evolution - Examining Fossil and DNA Evidence Kit
In Activity 1, students investigate how fossil whales provide a line of evidence in support of the theory of evolution. Students then apply the theory of natural selection to whale evolution, using anatomical adaptations to infer the habitats, lifestyles, and evolutionary relationships of extinct species. In Activity 2, students examine classification from an evolutionary perspective. They compare DNA sequences from a number of vertebrates and create an evolutionary tree. Developed by SEPUP.
- 12 sets of five Skeleton Cards
- 12 Whale Fossil Charts
- 12 Mysticetes Skeleton Cards
- 12 sets of five DNA Cards
- 28 Student Worksheets and Guides
- 1 Teacher„¢s Guide
- 1 Transparency 1: Whale Evolutionary Tree
- 1 Transparency 2: Scientific Illustration of an Ambulocetid
- 1 Transparency 3: Comparison of Living Vertebrate Forelimbs
- 28 students (LAB-AIDS suggests that students work in teams of 2 or 3)
- To complete the two activities in this kit requires two to three ~50-minute class periods.
You may also like