TTS Rugged Robot
- Grades: 2-5
- Number of Students: 1-2
- Number of Lessons:
- Contact Hours:
- Additional Resources: Worksheet Template, PowerPoint Template, Manual, Data Protection, Challenge Cards, Testimonials, Activity Ideas
The first programmable robot from the TTS range, specifically designed for outdoor use!
Boasting Bluetooth functionality and designed for robust challenges, Rugged Robot can be controlled via tablet or the TTS TacTile Code Reader.
With a memory of up to 256 steps, Rugged Robot will be able to carry out the most challenging of activities. With 3 speeds, students can set how fast the robot moves. It also boasts an obstacle sensor which can be turned on and off to prepare students to the more complex programming that lies ahead.
An obstacle sensor which can be turned on and off will detect obstacles in front of the robot and reverse and rotate 45 degrees before carrying out the rest of the program. Winner of the BETT 2020 award for the best digital device.
- Designed for indoor and outdoor use
- Free programming app available for iOS and Android
- Compatible with the TTS TacTile Code Reader
Curriculum or Lesson Topics:
The Computing Curriculum
Rugged Robot can be used across all age groups to develop computing skills in:
- Learning and exploring directional language
- Exploring, testing, designing and writing programs
- Debugging of programs and solving problems
- Decomposition in programs
- Using procedures in programs and working with variables
- Writing and exploring algorithms
- Prediction of the behavior of simple programs
- Use of logical reasoning to explain how algorithms and programs are working
The Wider Curriculum
You can also use your Rugged Robot to develop skills in the wider curriculum:
Speaking and Listening
- Learning and programming with the Rugged Robot can be a paired or group activity to encourage verbal communication.
Developing independence through active learning
- The simple design and easy to use App allow children to learn through independent exploration and trial and error. Staff can also play and learn alongside the children.
- Use your Rugged Robot to incorporate computing across the curriculum. You could use your Rugged Robot to draw shapes in the sand or navigate through a story map.
- Rugged Robot
- Charging Cord
Additional Information and Resources:
- Worksheet Template
- PowerPoint Template
- Data Protection
- Challenge Cards
- Activity Ideas
Rugged Robot is outdoor friendly with big wheels so that it can be used on sand, grit, dirt and grass. Children can choose from 3 settings according to terrain.