Lab-Aids: Pollutant Effects of Phosphates and Nitrates - Bilingual English/Spanish
This kit is an excellent environmental pollution laboratory activity. Students use water samples from nearby fresh waterways to set up controlled experiments, observe them, and determine the effects on fresh water (both qualitative and quantitative) when phosphate and nitrate compounds are added. Over a period of ten days, students will observe the blooming of algae and bacteria.
- Investigate pollution and environmental impact
- Experiment with phosphate and nitrate compounds and the growth of algae over a 10 day period
- Understand how nitrogen and phosphorous contribute to environmental problems
- Calculate the growth rate of algae
- 1 Teacher's Guide with MSDS
- 50 Student Worksheets and Guides
- 35 Clear plastic testing containers
- 35 Pressure sensitive identification labels
- 3 Drop control bottles of Nitrate solution
- 3 Drop control bottles of Phosphate and Nitrate solution
- 3 Drop control bottles of Phosphate Solution
- To complete this kit requires 1 ~50-minute class period for set-up then an in-class opportunity to observe and take notes for up to 10 days afterwards.
- Number of students: 30