Lab-Aids: Food Nutrient Analysis Kit - Bilingual English/Spanish
This Lab-Aid is a variation of the Food Analysis kit (LAB-6)
. In this kit however, tests are performed using pure samples of the nutrients in order to standardize the tests. Working in teams, students are asked to test for, and identify, five classes of nutrients: sugar, starch, lipid, protein, and Vitamin C. Once the tests have been completed and their observations have been made, students are then asked to draw conclusions about their results, the controls, and samples that showed no reaction. It is necessary to have a hot water bath available for the test of simple sugars.
NOTE: This Lab-Aid has a limited shelf-life.
- Test common foods for presence of nutrients
- Quantitatively determine Vitamin C in foods
- Standardize all tests
- 1 Teacher's Guide with MSDS
- 30 Student Worksheets and Guides
- 1 Drop control bottle of Glucose
- 1 Drop control bottle of Vitamin C
- 1 Drop control bottle of Protein
- 1 Drop control bottle of Starch Suspension
- 1 Drop control bottle of Vegetable Oil
- 2 Drop control bottles of Fat Testing Solution
- 2 Drop control bottles of Protein Testing Solution A
- 2 Drop control bottles of Protein Testing Solution B
- 2 Drop control bottles of Sugar Testing Solution
- 2 Drop control bottles of Vitamin C Testing Solution
- 2 Bottles of Starch Testing solution
- 30 Test tubes
- To complete this kit requires approximately one 50-minute class period.
- Number of students: 30