LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Essential Afterschool & Camp Bundle with STEMfinity
- Grades: K-5
- Number of Students: 1-2 per kit
- Number of Lessons: 40
- Contact Hours: 40+
- Additional Resources: Sample Lesson, Meet the Elements, SPIKE Essential Fact Sheet, Solving Problems Camp, Outdoor Fun Introductory, LEGO® Summer Camp Landing Page
This bundle contains either 5 or 10 of the LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Essential Sets.
Note: Please see bundle size options toward the top of the page.
LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Essential is the cross-curricular STEAM solution for primary education. SPIKE Essential engages students in hands-on investigation of STEAM concepts while contributing to literacy, math, and social-emotional development. Standards-aligned learning units use everyday themes, relatable Minifigures with different personalities and familiar LEGO® building elements to solve problems through storytelling.
SPIKE Essential consists of a main classroom brick set with a wide variety of LEGO® elements and intelligent hardware, along with the intuitive SPIKE™ App, all of which is accompanied by a selection of unit plans and comprehensive online and in-app support.
SPIKE Essential excites students and delivers strong STEAM learning outcomes, developing their STEAM knowledge and practices, and 21st century skills.
Part of the LEGO® Learning System
LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Essential is part of the LEGO® Learning System, and ensures a progression of learning year after year, starting in the lower grades and progressing to the upper primary grades. The consistent unit structure builds a strong foundation for easy progression into secondary education and more advanced learning opportunities with SPIKE™ Prime.
The LEGO® Learning System is an intuitive, inclusive, and highly adaptable hands-on learning system. It future-proofs students’ skills, and makes them confident life-long learners by giving them unlimited possibilities for hands-on, playful STEAM learning.
Intuitive, Inclusive and Adaptable Learning Solution
LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Essential combines standards-aligned curriculum units, colorful LEGO® elements, a simple coding progression, and intelligent hardware. With the STEAM learning units students of all levels are fully engaged as everything is easily adaptable to any learning environment, making it fast and simple for you and your students to get started and begin learning.
Familiar Stackable LEGO® Bricks
Building and hands-on learning is made easy and accessible for all ages with simple stackable LEGO® Bricks. The Bridge Pin connects creative system-brick builds to hardware and LEGO® Technic elements.
Intelligent Hardware to Build Smart Creations with Immediate Response
Create engaging, interactive models by connecting the Intelligent Hub, motors, a Light Matrix, and a Color Sensor - to bring STEAM concepts to life.
Standards-aligned Lesson Plans
LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Essential curriculum units are designed around playful narrative-based problem-solving with relatable themes that can develop young students into independent STEAM thinkers.
LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Essential includes 5 units that focus on national standards for both lower and upper primary grades. Each unit is comprised of seven to eight 45-minute lessons, plus language arts and math extensions for each lesson. This is 50 hours of classroom content in total!
During each lesson, students brainstorm and develop creative solutions through trial and error while collaborating with their peers.
Intuitive Coding Experience
Using the LEGO® Education SPIKE™ App students will experience intuitive coding. With LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Essential, students can progress all the way from lower to upper primary following a progression of block-based coding from icon blocks to word blocks based on Scratch. This provides age- and skill-appropriate tools for developing their coding proficiency.
- 4 relatable minifigures with diverse identities and characteristics foster problem-solving and social-emotional learning.
- Includes 2 Small Motors, a Color Sensor, 3x3 Color Light Matrix, and an intelligent Small Hub with 2 I/O ports, Bluetooth connectivity, 6-axis gyro and a rechargeable Li-ion battery with micro USB charging and connection port.
- 449-piece set also includes a selection of familiar LEGO® bricks and replacement elements for intuitive and easy construction.
- Sturdy storage box with color-coded sorting trays for easy classroom management.
- The SPIKE™ App, featuring age-appropriate icon- and word-based coding based on Scratch, helps develop student coding skills.
- 5 units of 8 x 45-minute, standards-aligned lessons encourage independent STEAM thinking through playful, narrative-based problem-solving.
- Comprehensive teaching resources for each lesson give every teacher confidence to deliver engaging lessons.
Key learning values
- Develop computational thinking skills, including creating and modifying sequences, testing, debugging, and using loops.
- Explore the engineering design process, including defining a problem, brainstorming solutions, and testing and refining prototypes.
- Investigate the scientific concepts of energy, energy transfer, and collision.
- Strengthen oral communication skills as students discuss their experiences collaboratively.
- Engage in narrative-based problem-solving.
- Develop social-emotional language by helping a main story character solve a problem.
LEGO, the LEGO logo, and the SPIKE logo are trademarks and/or copyrights of the LEGO Group. Used with permission. ©2020 The LEGO Group. All rights reserved.