eceSTEM Passing on Traits Kit
Recommended Grades: 3-6
Number of Students: 24 working in six groups of four
Hours of Lessons/Activities: 8+
Students will explore genes, traits, and how traits are passed from one generation to another. Students will make genetic crosses and observe the results of the crosses. They will learn about probabilities, environmental effects on gene expression, and what traits they have that are passed down through the generations.
Major Concepts & Big Ideas:
- How are genes and traits passed down from parents to offspring?
- Why do some traits show up while others do not?
- How can the environment affect gene expression?
- Design an organism with traits that enable it to live in a selected environment
- How does natural selection improve a gene pool?
- Seed- Genetic Rapid Radish (1)
- Mini Square Plastic Pot‚ (12)
- Potting Mix - Moisture Control (1)
- Foil Cake Pans‚ - Pack of 2 (3)
- Masking Tape (1)‚ ‚ ‚
- Plastic Spoons - Pack of 24 (1)‚ ‚ ‚
- Cotton Balls - Pack of 100 (1)
- Corn Segregating Ear, R Color Alleles 3:1 (6)
- 96 Coins in a Bag (1)
- Toothpicks - Pack of 500 (1)
- Plastic Googly Eyes - Pack of 125 (1)
- Feathers (1)
- Pipe Cleaners - Pack of 45 (1)
- Modeling Clay Sticks‚ (6)
- Craft Pom Poms - Pack of 80 (1)‚ ‚
- Assorted Construction Paper - 36 Sheets (2)
- Scissors (24)‚ ‚
- Ruler (24)
- Plastic Sandwich Bag - Pack of 24 (1)
- eceSTEM Photo Cards -Passing on Traits - Set of 2 - Fox‚ (1)
- eceSTEM Photo Cards -Passing on Traits - Set of 2 - Hydrangea Plant‚ (1)
- eceSTEM Photo Cards -Passing on Traits - Set of 2 - Corn‚ (1)
- eceSTEM Photo Cards - Passing on Traits - Human Genetic Traits (1)
- eceSTEM Photo Cards - Passing on Traits - Flower Parts Diagram (1)
- eceSTEM Leader's Expedition Guide - Passing on Traits (1)
- Plastic Storage Container (1)‚
*The included product image is a sample - packaging and brands of items pictured are subject to change at any time.